Wednesday, January 19, 2005

TOEIC Courses

Tomorrow I will meet the first TOEIC students.
I do not know many things about them.
I assume they will be 5.
I have planned the class to be something very special.
I am sure they will be delighted or maybe confused, as people are not accustomed to the communicative approach .
We will begin with short introductons.
Then I will give some technical instruction about the course.
They will have to fill in a background questionnaire.
The general overview of TOEIC will be in PowerPoint. I am quite sure it will be the first PP in their life.
Afterwards we will pass to some listening practice exercises.
They will have to circle the right answers on grids.
I have prepared leaflets, handouts, slides and I will buy a new CD-player tomorrow morning .
I am looking forward to this new teaching experience.

2 comments:

Gabriela said...

Few tips:
- prepare ice breakers - make them talk about themselves
(for example: first name, a word in English, and a gesture - then the others will have to call them with either that word or their name - and they willhave to repeat the gesture-3-4 turns!)
- prepare jokes related to the topics - you can easily find them with Google! (everythink I remember from my Business English course is related to few jokes;-)
Good luck! And have fun!

Mariana Hudrea said...

The course was very nice.
Two of the participants were beginners and four intermmediate.
Today I just wanted to meet them and see how things work.
I had prepared some folders with some information in Romanian, too.
After the introduction to TOEIC I invited them to have the first listening practice exercise from the course book. Then we corrected the grids together. None of them got perfect scores.
They all want to continue.
The beginners wanted a separate course for them.
As a consequence I have split the groups and next time we will work at full speed.
They want speaking exercises, too.
They look nice and very much interested.
As I am not very familiar with TOEIC I cannot appreciate if it is good or not.
I passed it without any previous preparation and as I had come across many new types of exercises, I found it quite complex and I loved working on it.
That experience helped me a lot in better understanding the approach I have to undertake in order to help my students get a good TOEIC score.